ABOUT POWERSTORIES THEATRE
The mission of Powerstories Theatre is to stage true stories to open minds and hearts and inspire action worldwide. The purpose is to create, present, and celebrate true stories to inspire courage and deepen understanding of ourselves and others.
Powerstories Theatre is a professional non-profit theatre that produces true or historic themed plays of social importance. For 20 years, we have helped others know the value of true stories through published and original theatre, workshops, festivals, online true story platforms, and programs for youth. Each year we produce four main stage productions in our 40-seat black box theatre, the SheVolution Festival, and the Girlstories Leadership Theatre Program.
We are a member of Theatre Tampa Bay, a local organization that promotes and supports professional theatre in the Tampa Bay Area. In 2010, Powerstories won The Arts and Humanities Youth Program Award, which was presented to Powerstories at the White House by First Lady Michelle Obama. Powerstories has also won the Spirit of Humanity Award from the DeBartolo Foundation, the Community Hero Award from The Tampa Bay Lightning Foundation, and The WEDU Arts and Culture Award.
We are located at 2015 W. Kennedy Blvd., Tampa, Florida 33606. For more information, visit www.powerstories.com.
The Voices of YOUTH Theatre Festival
We believe theatre can entertain, educate, enlighten, provoke, transport, transform, and start important conversations. We experienced this first-hand with our inaugural Voices of Truth Theatre Festival held in March 2021 with 16 playwrights around the country. Building on that success, we know it is not just adults but also our young people who have a lot to say and simply need a stage – in-person or virtual – to tell their stories. Though isolating, the pandemic has given us a tremendous opportunity for storytelling and imagination.
For our second festival, performed in our theatre following strict CDC guidelines and virtually, we want to give playwrights, 13 and up, and adult writers for youth from all around the globe a showcase with The Voices of Youth Theatre Festival.
On July 19 – August 1, we will highlight ten works that feature young actors. We are open to all subjects, and special consideration is given to plays that present diverse casting. If you have a concept in mind but aren’t comfortable directing your work, do not let that hold you back from submitting. We will find a director for you.
Plays should have had no professional production in the Tampa Bay area before submission or, if accepted, have professional production scheduled within three months of debut with the Voices of Youth Theatre Festival. (If the play has had a workshop production, please include this information in your application.)
Now, more than ever, we know it is our responsibility to give young playwrights a voice, a safe and creative outlet for self-expression.
Information will be posted soon about submitting your original work to The Voices of Youth Theatre Festival. Continue to check our social media for the latest updates. We hope this gives you an advanced opportunity to start thinking about what you want to write and submit!
We look forward to reading every submission.
for artists: a call for submissions by May 15, 2021
Powerstories Theatre is seeking submissions for the Inaugural Voices of Youth Theatre Festival scheduled for July 16 to August 1, 2021. Submissions are due by May 15, 2021. All plays and proposals will be reviewed by an artistic committee, and selections will be announced by May 30, 2021 or sooner. The overall quality and development of the submission will be the main criteria for selection. Registration is $10.00. However, if a scholarship is needed for the entry fee, it will be provided.
Each young artist will be responsible for casting, directing, and mounting the show. If an artist would appreciate assistance from a local director, Powerstories will match the artists with an experienced director.
Artist can produce their show in one of the following ways:
- In Theatre Performance – With a socially distanced audience (a very small audience)
- In Theatre Performance Live Streamed – Without an audience
- Prerecorded performance – Using Zoom and the digital platform provided by Powerstories
For theatre productions, Powerstories Theatre will provide our stage for final performances, rehearsal time, technical assistance, marketing, box office assistance, high-quality live-streaming, and a copy of the live stream video.
Each production will receive one night or afternoon to present. Examples of submissions include the following:
- Your own play – Either a full production with a minimal set or a staged reading. Six characters maximum on stage if selecting to use the theatre. No limit on the number of characters if producing digitally. The ideal length is 45 to 90 minutes to allow for one full evening or matinee. Other lengths will be considered. All authors must be willing to have plays live streamed.
- A published play that you chose to direct – Either a full production with a minimal set or a staged reading. Six characters maximum on stage if selecting to use the theatre. No limit on the number of characters if producing digitally. The ideal length is 45 to 90 minutes to allow for one full evening or matinee. Other lengths will be considered. Directors must have the rights to produce and live-stream.
- A detailed concept proposal for an event of story monologues or another idea that you choose. Six characters maximum on stage if selecting to use the theatre. No limit on the number of characters if producing digitally. The ideal length is 45 to 90 minutes to allow for one full evening or matinee. Other lengths will be considered. All authors must be willing to have works live streamed.
The theatre is a black box theatre with a 26 x 13 acting stage. We will provide artists with stage lighting, sound, projection options, and a list of stock set pieces that are available in our theatre. If you are bringing set pieces and props, they must fit in a small van for ease of moving in and out of the theatre. If selected, artists will receive more detailed technical information.